Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Interview with Greg Litton

Greg Litton played six years in the major leagues, from 1989 to 1994. In the 1989 postseason, he hit a combined .571 against the Cubs and A's with a homer and three RBI. Since his retirement from baseball, he earned a post-graduate degree in diamond grading and appraising from the Gemological Institute of America and is currently General Manager & Diamond Appraiser at Meadows Jewelers in Pensacola,FL. He is also a public speaker with Studer Group, a leading health care consultancy. He kindly took the time to answer my questions about baseball cards.

Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player? My favorite card is one of my rookie cards that shows me kneeling with a pair of red Franklin batting gloves on and a Chris Speier bat in front of me because that was my first day in the Big Leagues.

Do you collect baseball cards? No I do not collect baseball cards. As a child, we used to buy them, chew the gum and then clothespin them onto our bike tires for the noise.
Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?
I don't have many of my cards but there is one of cards (early first or second year) that has a quote from Jack Clark on the back. He was one of my favorite players and I give him credit for getting me to the big leagues as I copied something from his hitting style that really helped me. So that is pretty cool.

Thanks! I don't have the card he is referring to here - I believe it is either 1989 Score Traded or 1990 Score. Do any of you readers have that card and can confirm?

Litton's major league debut came on May 2, 1989 at Candlestick Park against the Cubs, a 4-0 Giants victory. In his first major league at-bat, he struck out against future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux, but later reached base after getting hit by a Maddux pitch in the sixth.

1 comment:

  1. This is really cool. Litton hit a homerun in the 1989 World Series.

    ReplyDelete