Sunday, January 10, 2010

Interview with Bill Bathe

Bill Bathe played ten years of professional baseball, including time in the major leagues for the A's and Giants. He hit a pinch-hit three run home run for the Giants in Game 3 of the 1989 World Series. He is now a captain and paramedic with the Tucson Fire Department and also runs Pro Baseball Drills and Equipment, a baseball instruction site that can also be found at BillBathe.com. He kindly replied to my questions about baseball cards.

Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?
I just remember how cool it was to finally see myself on a playing card as this was my dream as a kid. I also played with a pitcher named Dwayne [DeWayne Buice] who had asked me to go in with him on an investment. It was Upper Deck when it first started. Wish I had listened to him. It made him a multimillionaire.

- Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?
Not really. I do have an error card of myself with Scott Garrelts on it also. When they found out the error, the card became a collectible. I also like the Japanese cards that came out when i played in Japan. Pretty cool to see your baseball card in Japanese.

- Do you collect baseball cards?
Not like I used to. This doesn't mean I won't grab a collectible if it comes along but for the most part, I just enjoy the collection I already have because of the memories.

Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Good to see that Mr. Bathe is doing well. Cool story about the Upper Deck thing. Ahhh-missed opportunities.

    ReplyDelete