Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Wood vs Wood #79

Last time '87 won going away, 7-1. Who will prevail this time?

It's a contest between two pitchers enjoying some quiet moments. Both pitched three seasons in the major leagues, with promising careers cut short by injuries.

Ed Hobaugh pitched for the Senators from 1961 to 1963. In 61 games (21 starts) he went 9-10 with a 4.34 ERA. After his career he coached in the minors briefly before becoming a physical education teacher. He is currently retired and living in Pennsylvania.

Juan Nieves pitched for the Brewers from 1986 to 1988. In 94 games (81 starts) he went 32-25 with a 4.71 ERA. He is best known for his 1987 no-hitter. It was one of the first no-hitters I was aware of as a young fan, so I have always thought of him as more of a star than he really was. He is currently Assistant Pitching Coach for the Detroit Tigers.


9 comments:

  1. 1987. I like seeing the uniform, rather than just a head and cap. More interesting, and someone I've heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll go with the '87. Hobaugh is kinda boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough call. The uniforms are the highlights--the nice crisp W on the '62 cap and the powder blues on the '89. I think I'll go Nieves, partly because the condition on the other isn't great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that this one is a tough call, but I'm going with Nieves because I'm a sucker for that Brewers logo. I like the stripes on the collar and sleeves, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boring version of a '62 card vs. a boring version of an '87 card. Um ... Nieves I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neither of these cards really stand out, but Senators trump Brewers.

    ReplyDelete