Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Spanning the decades with Night Owl

I got another really nice trade package from Night Owl. This one spans all the decades of the second half of the 20th century.

Starting off, here are three "modern cards" that aren't really that modern anymore. The two Dodgers are from 1998 Upper Deck, a set that is almost a quarter of a century old. Meanwhile the '80's card is a 1986 Sportflics Mike Young.

The 1970s are represented by these great bicentennial oddballs! Hard to beat a vintage Pete Rose.

These cards span four decades. Fleer Laughlin cards produced in 1970 with a 1968 copyright date, featuring the World Series from 1940 and 1917.

A quartet of cards from the late '60s (I always think of 1970 Topps as a 1960s set). The Campanis is a high number.
The early 60's are represented by two great cards from the Bill Wetmore Collection. I particularly like the Barry Latman card, with the trees visible behind the seats at Comiskey Park. I wonder how late those trees were visible from that location; I imagine they were either torn down or blocked by new construction in later decades.
The 1958 Athletics had just finished their third year in K.C. It's always weird to see vintage A's cards where they're not wearing green. Their old uniforms were very generic. (I spy Billy Martin - technically this is his only card as a KC Athletic.)
Closing off with this fantastic card, a 1954 Bowman Carl Furillo, one of the bigger names of the great 1950's Dodger teams, coming off his 1953 NL batting title.



3 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just me, but I still think of the 80's and 90's as modern. If I were to think otherwise, I'd probably have to admit that I'm getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billy Martin spotting, cool! Although you'd never be able to pick him out without the name list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Kellogg's Rose is awesome! I'm impressed at how clean it is... and even more impressed that there's zero curl to that card.

    ReplyDelete