Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Two set completions and a lot more

Using TCDB to knock out my last remaining mid-70's Topps needs ended up working out really well. I completed a nice big trade with Suomibear8. He PC's the hockey player Teemu Selanne - I didn't have anything there, but he has lots of baseball needs as well. We ended up trading over a hundred cards each way. He also PC's George Brett, so he was one of the few people on the site with this to trade!

The last card I needed to complete my '76 set! George Brett with his wispy mustache, great card. The back has an error, by the way - Cincinnati is misspelled in the cartoon. I now have every Topps set from '74-'08 completed. Several others in the early '10s as well.

What's next in the vintage setbuild attempts? My '73 set is down to 42 needs. 32 are high numbers, and eight of the low numbers are HOFers. Once I get the pesky 284 Glenn Borgmann and 290 Cesar Cedeno I'll start zeroing in on the harder-to-get cards. The Mike Schmidt RC is the odds-on favorite to be the last one I'll need. I still need over 200 cards each for '72 and '71; mostly high-numbers and stars especially '72. '70 is a similar situation, only slightly better (~150 needs). The dark horse is '69, only 85 needs and the high numbers in that set are not terrible. I have Mays and Clemente but there are some BIG names in that set - Reggie RC, Ryan 2nd year, and of course Mantle.

Among the other completions was 1994 Score! These were the last six I needed. (Oddly enough I still need about half the '93 set, an unusually tough junk wax set.)

This trade also got me close to completing some other sets:

'95 Fleer (need 145 Manny Ramirez, 560 Tony Gwynn)

'92 OPC Premier (need 99 McGwire, 100 Belle, 130 Robbie Alomar, 162 Hershiser, 183 Alvin Davis)

'94 Pinnacle (need 13 Devereaux, 100 Griffey)

'95 Score (need 434 Glavine, 441 Rickey)

'91 Studio (need 9 Ripken, 192 Brian Barnes, 221 Jay Bell, 245 Gwynn)

'16 Topps (need 156 Maybin, 308 Brian Dozier)

There were a lot more great cards in the trade. I won't show them all but here are some highlights.

'86 Fleer Star Stickers. Best one is Donnie Moore giving a speech to an empty stadium.

'87 Fleer Star Stickers. My favorite is the Canseco/Mattingly card.
Some fun wacky cards. I love the Fleer Pro-Visions. And '92 Bowman rookies in street clothes. Cards like these sometimes take a while to develop a love for them, but I do now. And check out the rare image of Griffey bunting!
UD put out some great minor league sets in the '90s, lots of fun photos.
I love the '98 Metal set, the backgrounds are fantastic.
A couple of nice modern horizontal Yankee cards. Topps has done a few "center field camera" type shots but I don't remember seeing a Yankee one before.
'98 Ultra is another great set for fun photography.
I couldn't resist a trio of Yankees from '01 American Pie. I just got the Joe Pepitone '69 Topps card which has almost the same image. And I really like having a card that depicts the '64 World's Fair in Queens.




9 comments:

  1. Lots of great stuff, I love many of those sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completed the '22 OPC Premier set last year and have a lot of doubles. I'll look and see what I can knock off for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron is one of the relatively few people on the Database I've met in person. (One of five). The World's Fair card is my favorite here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on completing those sets. Seems you and I are working on the same vintage sets. The Schmidt rookie will no doubt be a tough get. I may have some 73s you need, but they're buried at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the set completion! Very cool. That Brett takes me back to being a kid and talking cards with my friend Jeff who was from Kansas and a Royals fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to you on completing '76 Topps and '94 Score. I'm also trying to complete some of those vintage sets you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on the '76 set completion! Will it be going into a binder? I think those cards look great in pages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on completing the 1976 Topps set... as well as the 74 to 08 run. That's pretty darn impressive.

    Over the years I've seen a bunch of cool cards in that Topps American Pie set. Don't think I'd ever build it, but maybe one day I'll buy it.

    ReplyDelete