Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Penny Sleeve knocks off some '73s

 Jon of A Penny Sleeve for your Thoughts sent me some big names for my '73 setbuild:

As these things often go, I went from zero '73 Don Sutton's to two in less than a week. The one Jon sent is much nicer so it will go in my trade boxes (that's not a pinhole on top, just a printing mark). I now have every Topps base card of Don Sutton, from his '66 rookie card through his '88 last card. He's by far the oldest Hall of Famer I can say that for.

The other three I still needed. That Johnny Bench card is fantastic! I am now down to needing a bunch of high numbers plus these: #190 Bob Gibson; #255 Reggie Jackson; #284 Glenn Borgmann; #305 Willie Mays; #473 Hank Aaron (all-time leaders); #475 Ty Cobb (all-time leaders). Five of the greatest players who ever lived, and a guy who hit .229 over nine seasons. There's always one of those!

Jon also sent some fun minor league oddballs. Not often you see a card of anyone, major or minor league, bunting in the batting cage. And great sidearm shot for Laddie Renfroe! I'm kind of surprised nobody has a mini-collection of these kind of photos.



3 comments:

  1. The '73 Bench is one of my all-time favorites. Sums up everything I love about that weird, wild set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably need to pick up that Bench & Allen LL card... just in case he's finally elected to the Baseball HOF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bench action card is a classic. I know that there are some vintage action cards that are more popular, but this one is probably my favorite.

    ReplyDelete