Friday, February 11, 2022

1985 Fleer Star Stickers

I love early- and mid-80s Fleer, including their oddball sets. I only owned one 1985 Fleer Star Sticker, and looked to remedy that. It turns out that in '85 they actually put out a sticker album for their Star Stickers, I guess to compete with the Topps sticker albums. I found one on eBay with a buy-it-now that came to a dime a sticker, with 125 of the 126 stickers. Perfect! Personally, I consider Fleer Star Stickers "cards" even when they're in an album like this, but I don't for Topps album stickers.

Unlike Topps which organized it's books by teams, Fleer did League Leaders for a lot of different catgories, like this page which features the '84 batting race that famously went down to the wire between Don Mattingly and Dave Winfield. (Winfield was the one I had already; so that copy, still on it's stickerback, is available for trade).

Here's NL Strikeout leaders with the one sticker that is missing, Dwight Gooden #113.

 

The rookies section has some big names, Puckett and Clemens.

There were some obscure categories which was nice, like Pinch Hits and Designated Hitters, who were ranked by their number of "Designated Hits".
A cool feature was three "Stop Action" sequences of star players. The other one had Eddie Murray's swing.

There was a lot of fun photography, if not as quirky as in some previous Fleer sets. Al Holland has a good one, he usually did.

Another interesting one was a different Dwight Gooden sticker, where he is wearing teammate Mike Fitzgerald's glove.





 

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. Hadn't seen that set before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I've seen the pages inside the album. I like the way Fleer organized things, for sure. Would have loved collecting these as a kid back then. Great post, Bo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm tempted to chase down all of those Seaver and Schmidt stop action stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My OCD hopes you acquire that last Gooden sticker soon.

    ReplyDelete