Monday, July 12, 2021

Wood vs. Wood #26

 Last time, ten people commented on the post. Six preferred the '87, four preferred the '62. Can '62 finally get a win this time?

The '62 card features Chris Cannizzaro of the expansion New York Mets. Cannizzaro had played in 13 major league games at this point, all for the Cardinals. Without any Mets logos to work from in all likelihood, I have to give Topps a pass for this hatless card. Cannizzaro went on to a thirteen year big league career. His best season was for another expansion team, the '69 San Diego Padres, where he was the team's first All Star selection. He passed away in 2016.

The '87 features a posed photo of Greg Brock batting in front of a palm tree. Ever since I got this card as a kid my eye was drawn to the bandage on Brock's finger. Brock played ten seasons in the major leagues, five for the Dodgers and five for the Brewers. He hit 55 home runs in his first three full seasons but failed to live up to his early success. He is now a high school baseball coach in Colorado.

11 comments:

  1. Have to go with the '87. Clear blue sky. Palm tree. Dodgers cap. Dodgers logo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to ever pick against a Mets card, but the hatless closeup is pretty bland, while the Brock is much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to go with Brock here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tie. The year I started collecting vs. the set that inspired my vintage collecting. These two sets go together like a ball and a glove for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brock is too standard for me so I'll go with Chris...I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brock. How can you vote for head shot?

    ReplyDelete