Friday, August 23, 2013

Former Donruss photographer Scott Rovak on baseball cards

St. Louis Cardinals team photographer Scott Rovak has been shooting sports photos for 29 years. His photos have appeared on Donruss cards and in many publications. He kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

- Do you have any stories about cards that you took the picture for? I used to shoot a lot of cards for Leaf/Donruss in the early to mid 90's. I really don't have any stories to tell, mainly because all of the cards I did were action shots of the players. I never shot any posed shots for cards, so I didn't have a lot of interaction with players when I was shooting the cards.


- Do you have a favorite card, either one taken by you or someone else? I shot a card for an Ozzie Smith instructional video. I took an action shot of him and a photo of one of his Gold Glove awards and merged them together and they printed cards to be included in the video packaging.
- Do you collect baseball cards? I don't "collect" cards, but I do have about 100 cards or so that I like, whether it's the image or the player that I knew. I don't have any cards created after 1998. I have a few Ozzie Smith rookie cards.

Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. The video was called Ozzie Smith, Shortstop to Success. 1992

    ReplyDelete