Sunday, January 14, 2024

Trade with DyeHardFan

I haven't done as much TCDB trading lately as I had in the past. I hope to get back to it more regularly at some point, but I've been too busy to do more than accept offers that come in.

I got a PWE yesterday from DyeHardFan that was enough fun for it to be worth a whole post.

Starting off small with a VJ Lovero insert and the last card I needed for the 2019 Opening Day set. (Somehow, without at all trying to, I've completed five different seasons' worth of Opening Day.)

Heading toward vintage now with a card each from 1978 and 1979 Hostess. For 1979 they apparently just decided to move the bottom to the top and be done with the design. Perhaps that's why there was no 1980.
Going further back with two 1963s and a 1970 high number. I really like cards where you can see the apartment buildings through the Polo Grounds stands.
However, the most fun cards in this PWE were actually modern issues. Here are a couple of players having fun with props.
And finally two cards for my 1998 Metal setbuild. The Jeff King with the railroad tracks is nice, but I instantly fell in love with Carlos Baerga at Times Square.
That card is so great it deserves a couple of close up shots. First on the right, with Howard Johnson's restaurant clearly visible. HoJo operated at 46th and Broadway from 1955 to 2005. I found a daytime photo of the spot from 1997 on GettyImages. The 1950s dancers are an ad for the Broadway musical Grease. The other large photo visible is a model in a Jantzen swimsuit.
The other side is just as great. Check out the trivia question - "What position did Halloffamer Phil Rizzuto?" I'd say that makes this technically a Yankees card!


3 comments:

  1. Tucker, Manaea and Baerga are sweet, fun cards I'll be on the watch for.

    I need to find my VJ Lovero card of the three Angels outfielders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom's first real job was at Jantzen. It's funny too, because I was just recently asking her more about that after accidently coming across an old Jantzen postcard on eBay.

    ReplyDelete