Saturday, January 6, 2024

Great cards from Night Owl

I sent Night Owl some junk wax and he sent me back a very generous mix of cards.

He must really be enjoying the cake/gum series as he sent me six Hostess cards. Among other things this will ensure his man Ron Cey gets included when I get to 1977. I happened to get a McRae the other day but this one is in really nice shape, if any of you readers need it.

Some setbuild needs, including a 1970 high number!
Finally, a couple of other cards that show that Night Owl really knows what I like. A Yankee pitcher bunting on a minor league card is something I will always enjoy. The other one I also really like, with the huge ad for Coney Island in the background. Got to be Ebbets Field, right? Wrong! There is also a Coney Island amusement park in Cincinnati, and this is actually Crosley Field, on September 25, 1956. Spahn would win his 20th game of the season that day.


5 comments:

  1. Wow, I thought it was definitely Ebbets Field, the sign is more apparent than Spahn's name of the card.

    If I have the cards to spare, I'll send them. Bloggers get special treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could use the McRae for my set if it hasn't been claimed already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coney Island in Cincinnati just closed down last week. I only knew of it because I saw a headline about it closing and of course thought it was the one in Brooklyn until I looked at the article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with Hostess cards in the mail, especially when a Braves tags along for the ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice detective work on the Spahn card!

    ReplyDelete