Friday, January 12, 2024

1961

I was able to get a lot of 120 different 1961 Topps at $0.25/card. I still look out for those deals but they are hard to come by.

It was basically sight unseen, so I was taking a bit of a gamble. Turns out I needed only 18 cards. Not a great ratio. It hammers home that I am at the point where I have most of the low-numbered commons, and the money I would put to lots like this is better spent picking off the stars when I can get them at below-market value. Still, it's a nice collection of minor stars. You've got Kuenn and Colavito who were famously traded for each other, solid semi-stars like Moon, Face, Allison and Sievers, and three cogs of the Yankee dynasty in Kubek, Lopez and Terry.

That puts over 100 1961s into my trade stack. This was a "poor lot" but the cards are generally presentable, no writing and only minor creasing. If you are working on this set let me know! Here are some higlights of what is available . . .
. . . and some more. No Billy Muffetts but some pretty good names and photos in there.


5 comments:

  1. Yeah, at 25 cents a card and with some decent star power the condition is more than reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still a great lot (even if dupes) for $30.00. Should make great trade bait on TCDB too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always liked that Wally Moon pose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see Billy Muffett getting a shoutout, even if he was absent from the lot. And you got some decent names in the 18 cards that you needed, but like you said, it'd probably be more advantageous to avoid lots like these in the future.

    ReplyDelete