Friday, January 5, 2024

Latest vintage star pickups

I skipped this last week, but have enough to show now. The Greg Morris packages always take a while to travel cross country, and what with the holidays I ended up getting two in back-to-back days. I found myself pivoting, almost accidentally, from star cards to older commons at a buck or so each. Still pretty good but maybe less exciting.

The seller is based in Los Angeles so I guess he has access to some Dodger oddballs. My favorite by far is the one in the top right, a 1955 Golden Press of oft-injured Dodger star Carl Furillo getting treated by trainer Doc Wendler. The one area where vintage cards fall well short of modern ones is unusual photos, and that is one of the more unusual card photos for any era. There's also a Johnny Podres stamp and a Walter Alston postcard. I also really like the 1961 football checklist with Giants action at Yankee Stadium. Would love to get the other two at some point. The rest of these cards are commons and minor stars from harder sets, and a couple of '60s high numbers. Some very good Yankees in there like Joe Collins, Bobby Brown and Bob Turley.

Hot on the heels was this one, highlighted by a 1962 Bell Brand Maury Wills. I had been watching a 1970 Giants-Cowboys game on YouTube shortly before this, and went for a couple of cheap cards of players in that game, Tarkenton and McNeil. I would certainly have gotten that '58 Charley Conerly for $0.79 anyway.  Other than that the big highlight is 16 cards from 1953 Topps. I only go for the Friday low-grade auctions, but these all have really nice sharp corners. Whoever trimmed them did a really nice job.

In other pickups . . .

I still look out for cheapo common lots from time to time, and got lucky with $0.25/card on this one. I needed all the cards in the two top rows, so the other four including the Doby are available. Happy to trade my other Doby which is in better shape than this one.


 $13 for a nice three-card lot from 1963, with two of the best pitchers of the 1960s. I like the Mets logo too with the white lettering, certainly a different look.

Another Ford, this time a 1960 for $5. Not bad.

$6 for a '57 Berra is fantastic. Sure you can't see his face well, but this is the guy known for saying "So I'm ugly. So what? I never saw anyone hit with his face."

On the subject of catchers, $12 for one of the hardest 1970 cards is quite reasonable.

$9 for a '65 Mays is a pretty good deal.
Finally, $4 for another 1955 stamp, this one of the legendary Duke Snider.


7 comments:

  1. You know, I've looked at that 1961 Topps football checklist a hundred times and never noticed the Giants action on it. Thanks for pointing it out. If the photo is from 1960, then #15 is George Shaw and #55 is center Ray Wietecha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The condition of some of the cards in this series give me the sads but that's a real nice find with the 1970 Bench. Mine probably isn't in a lot better shape and I paid a bunch more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of great vintage here. I need that Bench for my '70 set build. Now I'm scared to go look at prices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of great stuff here.

    I went "oh no" when I saw you paid $12 for the 1970 Bench. I still need the Bench for my dad's set - I really need to be better at monitoring eBay. Oh well. Good that it went to you at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these vintage hauls. That 60T Ford is awesome. When I was looking for an autograph of his, I specifically targeted that card. That Bench is sweet too. Outside of having a great photo and him arguably being the greatest catcher of all-time... I didn't realize it was such an expensive card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually have a couple of those cards! The '56 Rosen is one of my favorites from that set, and  I just sent my '53 Bowman Color Vic Wertz to COMC. The '59 Furillo is neat, I'm usually bad with backgrounds but I can always spot the L.A. Coliseum.

    The Dodger finds are nice for sure. Tarkenton, Bench, and the Bobby Brown Bowman jump out as well. Excellent haul!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheap commons can be just as fun as expensive stars, especially to someone whose a set collector. That was quite the group of 53's that you picked up too, you don't see that many altogether on the blogs very often.

    ReplyDelete