Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Latest vintage star pickups

This was one of my better Morris auction weeks. Not much more than a couple of bucks on any one card, and lots of stars.

Other pickups . . . 

Sure, it's been ripped, taped, probably laundered and maybe a wallet card, but that's the only way you can get a '58 Williams in the $15 range.

I spent almost the same amount on this one, not as good of a deal, but that's about the best you can get for an early Koufax. Plus this is one of the cards I had a Dover reprint of as a kid, so it's a little more special to me.
These three weren't a lot, but all came on the same day so I just took one photo of all three. I really like the Williams/Kluszewski card.

 

 I wasn't searching for this but was excited to come across a '64 Jim Brown, in front of his pink Cadillac, with no bids. $12 may have been too much, but I'm glad to have added such an iconic card.

I really enjoyed this $11 lot. My first 1933 Goudey, Dick Coffman. My first 1936 Goudey, a great photo of the Clown Prince of Baseball, Al Schacht. And a 1940 Play Ball of Lynn "Line Drive" Nelson, who got his nickname partially because he was one of the best hitting pitchers in baseball but mostly because he gave up a lot of line drives himself.
$7 too much? Maybe. Still a cool card.
Aaron and Mathews on a card for under $4, definitely a steal.
Holy cow!
Holy Cow part II! Probably paid a bit of a "Yankee tax" on these but they were worth it, especially this one of Scooter and Billy. Neither card looks as bad in person.
'61 All Stars are high numbers and hard to come by. Can't get much better for your first one than Hank Aaron.

 

5 comments:

  1. That is one well-loved Williams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a pitcher called Line Drive Nelson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, how do you damage a '51 Topps card that much, those are practically indestructible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found my Dover book a few weeks ago. One of these days I'm gonna bust them out and get them into my binders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Ted Williams sure is something! You don't see cards that look like that very often, and almost certainly never on the blogs. And even with it's flaws, I'm bit surprised that you were able to get that Jim Brown so cheap. His cards have really skyrocketed in recent years.

    ReplyDelete