Friday, June 30, 2023

Small transaction roundup

Catching up on some recent acquisitions . . . 

These four 2018 set needs came from a much larger box of nonsports cards for my kids that was kindly sent by friend of the blogs mzentko. Thanks also to GoldenEagles555 and Shaw Racing who gave cards or traded them with my kids.

 

I never really appreciated the Kay-Bee sets of the mid-to-late 1980s, but there were some fun photos in there. These and the '70 high number came in a trade with PaulGebauer.

Three great cards - Mariano Rivera under a bridge, Sportflics Jack Clark, and a great Polo Grounds shot on a '64 Phil Ortega. These came from nannema.
This was an eBay purchase. I like seeing old football designs (and hockey, basketball, etc) on baseball cards. I didn't have any myself as they are usually expensive online exclusives, but I got this lot of five Riley Greene cards for seven cents total. The seller put way too much packing tape on the toploader, but fortunately I only damaged one of the cards trying to get it off, so I can keep the damaged one and hopefully trade the others. Greene is an outfielder for the Tigers.
This is a cool set I'd never had a card from before. Randy Johnson loves photography and Score put out a whole insert sets of cards with his photos. These came from a trade with Jaysredlegs.
Four great looking cards from FSCGrad777. I've put all of the 1998 Metal cards from the NY teams on my wantlists, as well as the whole baseball set. Because TCDB uses scans instead of photos, it was hard to tell what was going on in some of the pictures. (This set doesn't scan well.) So I didn't realize that Tino Martinez was batting in front of St. Patrick's Cathedral (with a view down E. 51st street, taken from Rockefeller Center). Meanwhile, Curtis Martin gallops past the MetLife building, looking to evade a tackle from the Chrysler Building.
Finally, another TCDB trade landed me with a lot of modern cards and a few vintage ones, including a 1973 George Stone, leaving me with just two more cards needed for the set (and the other "easy" one is on the way). Normally I'd show off a trade this large in another post, but I don't like the way this person handled the trade. The guy is working on a '67 set and said he was fine with any condition other than "catastrophic". I told him some of the cards I would be sending would have writing on the front and he said that was fine. And anybody who collects 1960s cards knows what kind of writing kids used to do on cards. Then he received the cards and wrote this: "Well, you did say: "The '67s are a mixed lot, the worst of which are due to writing on the front." Which is true, but no mention about writing across foreheads, team names crossed out, etc. A little bummed out here, frankly..." What did he expect? Some writing was OK but other kinds weren't? I'm not posting this person's profile name because based on this experience I wouldn't recommend him as a trade partner. And check out the condition of the cards he sent me, like that heavily creased Jumbo Sunflower Seeds card. There were plenty of other modern cards with rough borders, etc. Of course, he didn't say anything about the cards he was sending my way.



3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about that last trade. Doesn't he know... writing adds character to the card?

    I'd love to get my hands on each of those 1998 Fleer Metal sets... just to examine the backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last trader sounds like one of the many I've encountered on there over the years. They expect PSA ready cards and send beaters in return (without mentioning that they're beaters beforehand).

    ReplyDelete