Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Chris Gomez on baseball cards

Shortstop Chris Gomez played sixteen seasons in the major leagues for eight teams, mostly the Tigers and Padres. In 1,515 games, he hit .262 with 60 HR and 487 RBI. Now the head baseball coach at Pacifica Christian High School in Newport Beach, CA, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I have a lot of my own cards that were given to me from the card companies, but none from other players.

Just having big league baseball cards is the best thing for me."


 Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Always wondered... how many copies did card companies give players.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He hit well enough each year for a utility type player to stick around the big leagues a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gomez was the first autograph I ever pulled from a pack. It was either from Upper Deck Victory or MVP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not much of a storyteller apparently.

    ReplyDelete