Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Failures and success at the flea market

Over the past few years I've gone to the flea market once or twice a year and came away with a nice amount of cheap cards. I went this weekend hoping to do the same.

There are so many tables at the flea market that I do a once-around first to see everything, then go back and take a closer look at what I am interested in. In that once-around I did find something that I really wanted and bought on the spot. I'd always been interesting in owning some vintage LIRR schedules. I found three from 1965, 1966 and 1968 from local stations I know well. I asked the guy how much he wanted for all three, hoping it would be a buck each, or at worst 3-for-$5. He asked for $2 for all three!

With that little success in hand, I approached the tables with baseball cards. They all had various boxes of loose cards, commons mostly with a mix of junk wax and newer stuff. The kind of boxes that I've gotten for $20-30 lots of times. In each instance I am talking about boxes where the cards have just been thrown in, going to be lots of dings and creases. There were three tables which had boxes like that. Surely I could get one of them?

First table - several large boxes with probably a couple thousand each. Asked the guy how much for a box, or to make my own box? Would not give me an answer, just to fill up a box and he'd look at it and decide. But he did say that someone else had bought two boxes for $170. Nope.

Second table - Four small boxes, maybe 200 cards in a box. Mostly junk wax era, though a fair amount of oddballs. Wouldn't budge on $1/card even for the whole box. Nope.

Third table - One small box. Mostly junk but some minor league sets and a few oddballs. Maybe worth $25. Guy said $125. Nope.

There was a fourth table - in my once-around the guy was talking about how he was "motivated to sell". All of his cards were in plastic toploaders with prices. I leafed through them - there were a few interesting vintage oddballs but all Mets. Then there were some pretty junky cards with high prices - like a 1987 Topps Willie Hernandez for $1. Didn't even try to make an offer.

This was my first instance of really seeing the inflated prices for cards. Though I am guessing this is why I rarely see good lots on Craigslist or see them at garage sales. 

I didn't come home empty-handed, though, not at all. I did find one seller with what was apparently a box of cards that was his childhood collection. Mostly very rough junk wax, and I might not have bothered had I bought a big lot. But I hadn't so I leafed through the box and found about 25 cards that I might have needed. I offered $1 and ended up paying $2.

The cards on top in this photo I needed. Nice variety at least. The ones on the bottom I had already. A couple I suspected I did, like the Sierra Pro-Visions, but included it just in case. I can always trade my better copy of these cards in the future.

There were three football cards in the box, and it turns out all three were needs. I knew I had those three '72s but I had to include them anyway, never know when they can be handy trade fodder, freeing up a better-conditioned version to trade.

One table I kept walking by had a "Paper - $1/each" box at the front, with various miscellany like postcards and such. However, there was an autographed photo of Joe Morrison that I assumed must have been in there by mistake. I asked the guy and he said no, that was $1. It appears to be real - the guy said that his brother (Larry) got it as a kid. Joe Morrison played for the Giants from 1959 to 1972 and is 14th all-time in rushing for the Giants. (Not to be confused with Joe Morris who played from 1982 to 1988 and is 3rd all-time.)

Not bad for a buck! I picked out two other items from the box. Norcross was a stationery company that put out these little calendar books throughout the mid-20th century. The back of this one says "Courtesy Shop" and "2084 Broadway". I couldn't confirm whether that was 2084 Broadway in NYC (which would put it at the intersection of 72nd Street, which is a pretty major intersection), or somewhere else entirely.

I picked up this too for $1. People Today magazine ran from 1950 to 1977. This is from October 1959. It is digest sized, 64 pages with a variety of articles on news, entertainment and sports. Mostly fluff but a fun snapshot of the time.

Baseball-related!

Part II.

Finally, at one last table I made my smallest and largest purchases of the day. I was able to get these minor league cards for $1. 1986 Omaha Royals set. These cards were scattered around a box with a lot of other random stuff. Only one missing was manager John Boles.

My other purchase was very exciting but will have to wait. The guy had a crate full of old newspapers, mostly related to the moon landing. They were in pretty good shape, not falling apart too much, so I asked him for a price thinking I'd buy one or two. He said $25 for the crate. There were easily more than 25 newspapers in there. It would be hard to find a better deal than that. Mostly NY Times issues from around the moon landing, but I saw Newsday in there as well. I also saw some copies of the last issue of the Long Island Press (March 25 1977) and a very brittle front page of the Detroit Free Press from FDR's death. The papers were in pretty good shape but there was a strong mildew smell, and a couple of moldy-looking items that I wasn't interested in anyway (there were old prints and stuff) had to get thrown out. The whole stack is sitting in a big box with lots of baking soda and will stay that way for a while. However, if there is interest maybe I'll post some photos from the papers at a later time.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a cool day. Sorry to hear about the prices, but at least you found some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had good luck at flea markets over the years, but it definitely takes a lot of wading through overpriced and/or overproduced stuff from people who don't know anything about cards. I saw someone asking $80 for a 1990 Topps Roger Clemens once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when the flea market was a great place to find lots of deals on just about anything used. A whole lot of new stuff seems to have overtaken much of them. I don't like that. As for those papers, please do post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice flea market haul. Sounds like yours has more cards for sale than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was more of a case of delusional sellers than inflation. At least you didn't walk away empty handed though. The issue of People Today is my favorite here. And I too would like to see the papers whenever there done being desmelled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to the newspapers! Hopefully you can salvage them.

    ReplyDelete