Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Getting my kids into card collecting

I don't collect non-sports cards but have accumulated a fair amount through the years buying various lots and collections. I recently gave some of the cards to my children. I split a Disney set between the two kids, and gave the kids other cards based on their interests. My son got a few Marvel cards, a bunch of dinosaur cards, and a lot of Magic: The Gathering cards. My daughter got a large box of Little Mermaid cards (1991 Pro Set).

My daughter ended up with a full base set and most of the inserts, with many duplicate cards left over, enough to even create an extra 90-card base set. She would like to trade her extras for non-sports cards that might be interesting to her. She would be interested in other Disney cards, video game cards, or any other kinds of cards that might be of interest to a young girl.



My son has really gravitated to the imagery on the Magic cards, and has made up his own games pitting the soldiers and monsters against each other, and would love to get more. He does not play the actual game, so it doesn't really matter to him which cards he gets. He would also be interested in video game cards.

In addition to trades for my daughter's extra cards, I'd be happy to trade other cards on my TCDB tradelist (non-sports or even sports) for cards for either child's collections.




9 comments:

  1. That's cool. I wish I still had some of the cards my daughter had when she was younger, she liked video game cards and other things I don't remember. She still buys a pack of Animal Crossing cards sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A week ago today I had off loaded about 400 non sport sets. Man. shoot me an e-mail with the kids ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember a friend's daughter being very happy with a bunch of Bella Sara cards that I had found for her. I don't think I have any more, but they may be something to watch for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Either of your kids like Avatar? I picked up a small stack of the CCG in a Goodwill bag that also had baseball cards in it. I'd be happy to pass those on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotten my own kids (8 and 5) into cards over the past year. Its a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This'll probably make collecting a lot more enjoyable for you too. Hopefully at least one of them will stick with it.

    And I don't have the time tonight, but I'll be sending you an email about this in the next day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know. I doubt I have any Disney or MTG laying around... but they do pop up in collections and other flea market purchases I make periodically.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your kids' collections! My eldest gets the occasional baseball or basketball pack or repack. My youngest has his old Pokemon cards but doesn't actively request to purchase packs.

    ReplyDelete