Thursday, June 15, 2023

1973 setbuild hits and more from Johnsogr

I decided to try to knock out some more 1973 Topps needs and reached out to Johnsogr, who had five of my remaining eight needs. I didn't have any vintage for him, so I put together a proposal with 100+ modern cards for the five '73s and a small handful of other cards. Most of what I had for him was junk wax, though there was one big card, a Verlander rookie which TCDB values at $20. I sent the proposal hoping for the best, and he accepted immediately! Here is what I got:

Five 1973 Topps cards. Willie Mays was the last non-high-number I needed. Biggest established star in the set, except for maybe Aaron, so no surprise he's the last one. Also a team card, Dave Concepcion and two Yankees. That leaves me with just three high numbers - Ken Reynolds, George Stone and the Mike Schmidt RC. Stone is already en route via another trade.

I added a small number of additional cards, mostly interesting photos, and Johnsogr sent them all. Fun mixture here.
I had been worried that I had been asking too much, but Johnsogr actually surprised me by throwing in some extras! Not just any extras, but great-conditioned set-needs from 1966 to 1967. Yet another good guy from TCDB.

 


4 comments:

  1. Nice to have enough stock to make a 100-card counter to a five card request!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a great trader. Always throws in nice extras. Glad to see you getting close on the '73 set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always so strange to see Willie Mays as a Met. It'll never be a high priority, but someday I'd like to get a copy of that card too.

    ReplyDelete