Monday, November 15, 2010

Joe Mikulik on baseball cards

Joe Mikulik played in the Astros organization for eleven seasons. His walk-off hit won the 1992 Pacific Coast League Championship for the Tucson Toros. Currently the manager of the Asheville Tourists, Class-A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies, he kindly shared with me his thoughts on baseball cards.

"My favorite card of myself would have to be the '92 Fleer Pro Card (minor league) when I was in Tucson, AAA for Houston. If you see the bat, on it was written 1000th, marking my 1000 career minor league hits.

My very 1st pro card in '86 w/the Columbus Astros (although I signed in '84 no cards were made in '84 and '85) is one that I am very proud of, that marked a beginning of a very cool career.

Growing up, I was an avid card collector. Still remember going to the 5 and dime store in Schulenburgh Tx. and couldn't wait to open them up, chew the bubble gum and sort out teams. That is a great memory during my childhood days. I stopped collecting when the market just got to big. Too many different companies killed the love of the hobby. Collect cards for the love of the game, not the value of the card."

Thanks! I don't have either of those cards, but here is one I do have, from 1991 Line Drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment