Sunday, January 9, 2022

Ugly? Not to me

I've noticed over the past few months, more and more rough-conditioned eBay lots being advertised as "ugly". Doesn't usually seem to hurt their sales, but one was ugly enough to fly under the radar low enough for me to grab it. 119 cards for $21 shipped, all from 1959-1961. Hard to beat that. These weren't even that bad, except for the tape, and the paper loss on the back of some of the '59s.

Here are the cards that I needed from the lot.

1961

1960. I'd forgotten about Elmer Valo's very brief Yankee career - 8 games in 1960.

1959. This was a commons lot, so seeing 300-game winner Early Wynn was a nice surprise.

A couple of highlights from the backs . . . 

In sorting the '61s, I learned that there were two #463s in the set. The Braves team card was supposed to be #426. Funny coincidence to get both cards in the same lot.

What a cartoon from the '59 set! When this set came out Fidel Castro had just taken over the Cuban government, and hadn't yet angered the U.S. Orlando Pena actually met Castro in April 1960 when Castro visited the Reds' AAA Havana team (the team was relocated to Jersey City in July).

Here are the cards I had already, all up for trade and I will trade you my best conditioned copy (though many of my cards from this era are in varying degrees of rough shape).

1961

1960 (some reasonably big names here - Score, Blanchard, Joe Gordon)

1959 (highlights include Newcombe and Boyer)







2 comments:

  1. Don't think I've ever seen an eBay vendor describe cards as ugly... but I like that they're keeping it real and not trying to sugar coat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it hasn't been claimed already, I wouldn't mind taking that Newcombe off of your hands. And I too have never seen a listing described this way, but I don't spend as much time these days on eBay as I used to, so maybe things have changed?

    ReplyDelete