Monday, July 1, 2019

Wallet Card by request - Bowery Savings Bank

Yes, I take requests! Adam from Infield Fly Rule asked for anything related to the Bowery Savings Bank, where his grandmother used to work. The Bowery Savings Bank, originally chartered in 1834, was best known by baseball fans for the commercials Joe DiMaggio did for the bank from 1972 until the bank's demise in 1992. There are even some Bowery DiMaggio baseball cards out there; I'd love to trade for some. A few years ago I included the Bowery in a DiMaggio-related wallet card post, but I hadn't done a stand-alone post for the bank.

The bank's 42nd street building is landmarked, and I had included a photo of the sign on 42nd street. Here is a new photo of that sign.

I had not realized at the time that there was also a Bowery sign on the 41st street side, over a delivery/loading entrance. Here is that sign as well.

1 comment: