Sunday, December 23, 2018

The Steve Maynard collection

Another one of my eBay pickups came in yesterday. This was 700+ cards from 1968 to 1971 for about a dime each. What's the catch? They all have writing on them. I was afraid it was going to be a lot of drawn-on mustaches and stuff but it's really not that bad. I added a lot of bulk to these sets (including high numbers, particularly in the '68s. In fact I've even got a handful of '68 high numbers to trade if you don't mind writing).

They all appeared to be from the same collection. I'm going out on a limb and guess it was the collection of someone named Steve Maynard, based on this card:
 Other than that card, the cards followed a similar formula. The uniform number was handwritten on the front or back, and if the player changed teams or retired to become a coach, that was written on the card, and often the team logo was inked over in the photo and design. This card is a good example of one where all the different elements were included. Most are not this bad.
 Here is a more typical one. I included this because Herman Franks has some of the best sunglasses I've seen on a baseball card.
 Sometimes Steve got creative with the new team names, drawing the logo. However Willie Crawford never played for the White Sox so I don't know what's going on here.
 Here is the saddest card in the lot. On the back Steve noted that Edmondson died in an auto crash. He died in February 1970; Sports Collectors Daily notes that the series in which this card is a part of probably did not come out until after his death.
 Not sure about the red paint on Phil Roof's helmet. He did end up on the Twins, but only after a couple of years with Milwaukee.
 This is my favorite one. I really like the Gary sticker that got put on top of Gary Peters's name.
 There were no HOFers in this lot but plenty of good players. Dick Allen was the only one to get a star sticker, though.
 I don't want you to think most of them were this bad though; most of the writing was unobtrusive, like on this card with some great 1971 photography.

2 comments:

  1. Those are lot like the cards that I picked up (and many of which you have now). I wonder if Steve Maynard and Bill Wetmore were friends back in the '60s. I guess a lot of kids must've done this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad that this collection has to be broken up, as it's almost like a time capsule of this fellow's life.

    ReplyDelete