Saturday, July 9, 2016

Willie Brown on baseball cards

Outfielder Willie Brown played four seasons in the Marlins organization. His best season was 1993 when he hit .244 with 16 HR, 44 RBI and 11 SB at Lethbridge. Overall in 312 games he hit .225 with 42 HR, 146 RBI and 37 SB. He now runs Rockhead Synergy, a non-profit in Tallahassee, FL that works collaboratively with schools to improve student performance using innovative educational programming. He kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

-Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?
 As a player, I had visions of making it to the Majors along with an endless supply of baseball cards. I gave away every card I had to little kids and fans that admired pro athletes. I don't regret the fact that I didn't save any for myself or my son.
- Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?

See below

 
 
 - Do you collect baseball cards? 
No, I didn't have the time nor foresight to collect cards, pictures, and autographs. Looking back, I wish that I had. Players like Charles Johnson, Gary Sheffield, Andre Dawson, Alex Rodriguez, all shared the same field/facilities. I should have captured those moments.
I now run a non profit, teach, and write kids books.... I've written more than 10 kids books that I want to "GIVE" to kids.


Thanks! I don't have any of those cards, but I do have this one from 1993 Topps.

No comments:

Post a Comment