Sunday, July 10, 2016

Justin Williams on baseball cards

Justin Williams was drafted by the Padres in 2000 and pitched well for their team in Idaho Falls that year, going 3-0 with a 3.98 ERA in 25 games. Unfortunately injuries ended his career after that one season. Now a youth baseball coach in Oklahoma, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"The only card story I've got is how cool I thought it was that the Topps baseball card guy came buy to snap our pics while on the road in Montanta. We were issued a $1.00 check and sent a few hundred of our own cards. I have the check and pen I signed with framed at my dads house.

The Idaho Falls 2000 card is my only card as I went on the DL the next Spring training for 2 years and then retired after 2 unsuccessful arm surgeries. 

My favorite baseball card is that of my kids. There's an iOS app called Rookies where we upload action pictures taken from their little league game. It allows us to order the kids baseball cards and they get delivered in an actual baseball card wrapper (no gum). 

As a side note our team is the Mustang Padres (Mustang Oklahoma 7U). We just ordered replica Padres uniforms from the late 90s era. ;)"
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment