Sunday, October 28, 2012

Glenn Wilson on baseball cards

Outfielder Glenn Wilson played ten seasons in the major leagues for Detroit, Philadelphia, Seattle, Pittsburgh and Houston. His best season was 1985, when he hit .275 with 14 HR and 102 RBI for the Phillies, earning an all-star appearance. Now the owner of Glenn Wilson Baseball in Houston, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I really have never collected cards. When I was a kid my brother collected them but I thought they would make for a cool sound in my bicycle spokes. I do not have a favorite card of myself but have several I do not like. I think card collecting is a good hobby and see where it could be fun trying to get them autographed. There is one funny story I have about cards and autographs. In Philadelphia 1984 I remember Mike Schmidt signing all of Pete Rose cards and pictures since Pete had been released and signed by Montreal. The funny part was you could not tell the difference. Mike's Pete Rose signature looked just as if Pete had signed it."
 
Thanks! Here is a card of him from my collection, from 1985 Fleer.

1 comment:

  1. How is a Mike Schmidt forgery of Pete Rose's autograph not the most desired autograph in the hobby? There has to be a way to tell them apart...

    ReplyDelete