Thursday, October 18, 2012

Baseball card story from Scott Anderson

Scott Anderson pitched ten years of professional baseball and reached the major leagues on three separate occasions – 8 games for the 1987 Rangers, 4 games for the 1990 Expos, and 6 games for the 1995 Royals. Now a Senior Territory Manager for Lifecell in Oregon, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I don't collect cards and never really got into the memorabilia craze. I can only say that my Fleer card with the Expos jogs a nice memory each time I see it.  It was taken at Wrigley the day I was called up from Indianapolis.  The day before, the Expo bullpen was decimated so I got the call to fill in as the only live arm in the pen that day.  Kevin Gross started the game and gave up 6 runs in 5 innings of work and I entered the game with bases loaded, nobody out in the 6th to face Andre Dawson.  It had been a few years since I'd pitched in the big leagues and while that moment was not the perfect opportunity to reacquaint myself to the big leagues, I stood behind the mound that night before my first pitch and was so calm and relaxed. I remember specifically knowing that it would be a life long memory.

In spite of the fact that my 1-2 sinker was hit just under the glove of Tim Wallach for a double to left, clearing the bases, I finished the game, pitching well the rest of the way.  Which in the end led to further opportunities with the Expos down the road.

My career fell short of my personal goals overall but I have a few pearls that I can hang onto."

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment