Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Baseball card story from Greg Hunter

Infielder Greg Hunter played in the Mariners and Twins organizations from 1990 to 1995. In 284 games he hit six home runs and stole 29 bases. Now a scout for the Mariners, he kindly shared with me this baseball card story.

"Best story would have to be the fact that I ended up in the 1991 Classic Best set after hitting .213 with 1 HR and 13 RBI's for the Bellingham M's of the Northwest League the previous year. I have no idea how I ended up in that set. That card gets sent to me occasionally for signature. I am now a pro scout with the Seattle Mariners but started working in the front office in 1996. The year we took Jose Cruz Jr. in the first round (1997 I believe), I was showing Jose Cruz Jr's family around our spring training complex in Peoria, Arizona. Most notably Jose Cruz Sr who had a wonderful 19 year career in the Major Leagues.  As we are walking between the Minor League fields a fan comes running up to us to ask if he can get a signed card.  Jose Cruz reaches out to take the card from the guy, but the autograph seeker turns to me and says oh sorry I was looking to get Mr. Hunter's signature and hands me the Classic Best 1991 card to sign. That unknowing fan definitely missed out on an opportunity but gave me instant credibility with Jose Sr.

The 1991 Classic Best is the favorite of mine as I still get an occasional request for signature. I collected cards but was never an avid collector so I do not have any favorites of others that come to mind."

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment