Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Matt Walbeck on baseball cards

Matt Walbeck caught for eleven seasons in the major leagues for the Cubs, Twins, Tigers, Angels and Phillies. He is now the manager of the Pirates' Double-A team, the Altoona Curve, whom he has guided to the Eastern League Championship series, which starts tonight in Altoona against Andy Pettitte and the Trenton Thunder. He kindly took time from his busy schedule to share some baseball card stories.
"When I broke into the big leagues card companies were everywhere. It was pretty cool because I would get 5 new cards a year. I kept all of them and put them in frames to put on display. Each card means something special to me and reminds me of that particular day/game/season. There's one of me hitting and getting jammed so bad that my bat is snapping in half. Another of me bunting (not cool). Another of Phil Nevin on the picture with my name on it. I like the hologram card with me touching home plate after hitting a grand slam in Milwaukee with my teammates at home plate high fiving me.

My favorite is Topps Coming Attraction 1993. Kind of cheesy, but it was my first big league card.


I used to collect cards when I was 8-12. I liked putting the players together on their respective teams. I chewed the gum too."

Thanks! Walbeck played with Nevin on the 1997 Tigers, but I couldn't find any cards that matched the description. The grand slam was May 4, 1994.

1 comment:

  1. I saw Walbeck hit a HR in the first game I ever went to, which was this game: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN199708250.shtml

    So very cool! Glad he sounds like a nice guy!

    ReplyDelete