Thursday, September 9, 2010

Interview with Pat Leahy

Pat Leahy pitched in the Florida Marlins organization from 1993 to 1995. Following his retirement from baseball, he earned an MBA and is now the Director of Market Research and Internal Training & Southern Region Sales Leader for American Independent Marketing, a leader in long-term care insurance marketing. He kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.
- Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?
I just remember how we always felt on picture day, it was actually quite unnerving. Not that it was an inconvenience, but the photographer is telling you to do this, do that and you were always in the back of your mind saying to yourself "I sure hope I don't look like a dumbass."
- Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?
My favorite card of myself was from Portland in 1995. It was a live action shot of me pitching.

As for other players, I've always enjoyed the action shots because that's how I like to remember my former teammates.
 

I've also always enjoyed looking at both John Lynch's football cards and Edgar Renteria's baseball cards. Us three were roommates in Kane County, until John departed the Marlin organization for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. John and I had the responsibility of overseeing many of Edgar's off the field, non-baseball related activities such as eating, sleeping, shopping, etc. Both Edgar and John are beautiful people and I couldn't be happier for their prolonged successful All-Star / All-Pro caliber careers.
- Do you collect baseball cards?
Unfortunately, I was never an avid collector of cards. Always had a few favorite rookie cards of the greats (that I purchased on the secondary market) that I kept in a safe deposit box but no real collection or complete sets. Thanks! Unfortunately I couldn't find a picture of the 1995 Portland card, so here is a Leahy from my collection, from 1993 Topps.

No comments:

Post a Comment