Friday, July 28, 2023

Wallet card is going postal

Might as well knock these out while I'm still mad at the post office.

This sign on the wall of the Chinatown post office in Manhattan says "This is your community post office, please help keep it graffiti free". I usually hate seeing graffiti on old signs, but in this instance I approve.

Before the introduction of the zip code in the 1960s, cities with large populations had multiple one or two-digit postal codes. Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn was Brooklyn 35 (now Brooklyn 11235). It looks like the post office painted over the old sign but over the years the new paint has worn off and the old sign is visible.


3 comments:

  1. Your wear on your wallet card is starting to resemble some of these old signs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mark. That 88 has seen better days. I think it is an 88', can't tell anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given your recent troubles, this title is absolutely perfect :)

    ReplyDelete