Thursday, July 13, 2023

Spiked!

A few weeks ago I bought a lot that included a lot of early 1970s LA Dodgers team issued photo-cards, sometimes known as Danny Goodman sets. I was doing some research on these sets online and came across a site called CobbSpikedMe. It is run by a guy named Andy who is a vintage card collector, and among other things PC's former Dodger Jimmy Wynn. On his Jimmy Wynn page, which briefly mentioned the Goodman sets, I saw that he is looking for all copies of a variation of Wynn's 1974 Topps Traded card. Some copies of this card have a "target" in the background caused by a printing error. I have several copies of most cards in that set and found two of the "target" version. I also had some other cards for him and reached out for a trade.

We worked out a fun little vintage trade. Here is what I got on my end:

1954 Bowman Eddie Joost. He looks so young in this picture, but Joost, who made his MLB debut in 1936, was almost 40 and was named player-manager of the A's that season. We often notice how old younger men often looked on 1950s cards, but that wasn't true for everyone. That 1961 Al Kaline had no creases when I got it. It did have the back completely obscured by cardboard that was glued on. I was able to peel about 1/3 of the cardboard off, creasing the card in the process which is OK for me, at least it has some semblance of a back now. I probably could have used water like Collective Mind but getting cards wet makes me nervous, I'd probably mess it up more if I did what he does.

Two from 1963. Turk Farrell went 106-111 in his big league career. He was killed in a car crash in 1977. That same month the Angels drafted a pitcher named Richard Dotson, who would go on to go 111-113 in his career. In 2018, through genealogical research, Dotson discovered that Farrell was his biological father, conceived during a 1958 Phillies road trip in Cincinnati.
Two slightly newer vintage cards, both of Tigers.

Andy also has a blog, For Love of the Cards. He is a member of a collecting group called Old Baseball Cards (OBC). The members of this group are primarily vintage collectors, though most collect at least a little bit of new stuff as well. Many have little or no condition requirements which is a nice change of pace from a lot of the people who trade on TCDB. Apparently they don't do very much formal trading, but just send each other cards randomly on a regular basis. Seems like it could be fun, though one might also feel pressure to always have a lot of extra vintage cards on hand to trade, and many of these are veterans who have completed most of the vintage flagship sets. 

Have you had any interactions or experience with OBC?


5 comments:

  1. Never heard of OBC. It'd be pretty cool to be part of that group if I had a ton of vintage and I didn't already have connections online with tons of other collectors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked them out years ago when I started with OCT (old card traders). Also VCT. Decided I only needed one group to trade amongst. Most of the guys in my OCT group also belong to OBC, VCT, and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of them but sounds like a good group of traders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been in OBC since 97. Great group of folks, but not for everyone. I would be glad to answer any questions of those that have interest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Mark, I've been in OBC since the 1990s and agree that it's a particular collecting perspective, focused on cheap (often low grade) cards older than 1980 and building karma by sending cards other guys need without expecting direct swaps or payback. Find more info at oldbaseball.com and email a member or two for support if you'd like to apply.

    ReplyDelete