Wednesday, July 26, 2023

1981 Topps Lynn Jones

 

The front: Very simple photo of Jones. The orange T-shirt under the uniform provides a little visual interest.

The back: The Tigers had five rookies in 1979, and their Rookie of the Year was fifth out of five in WAR. Of course WAR wasn't around in 1979; batting average meant a lot more back then. (Dan Petry 2.0; Pat Underwood 1.2; Tom Brookens 0.9; Dave Tobik 0.6; Jones 0.4)

The player: Outfielder Lynn Jones played in 527 games over eight seasons with the Tigers and Royals, hitting .252 with 7 HR and 91 RBI. He helped the Royals win the 1985 World Series, with a double and triple in three at-bats against the Cardinals.

The man: Jones had a long coaching career in the major and minor leagues, and is now an volunteer assistant coach at his alma mater, Thiel College in Pennsylvania.

My collection: I have 12 of his cards, from 1980 to 1986. I would be interested in trading for 1984 Topps Traded #58.


2 comments:

  1. There seems to be a lot of guys in this set that I've never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have that 1984 Topps traded off Jones. Email me at billkhan35@gmail.com if you’re interested. I may have other Lynn Jones cards if you collect him. I’m a Tigers collector, so always looking for guys in the olde English D.

    ReplyDelete