Tuesday, July 4, 2023

One left to go on 1973 - trade with brnkeux

With another TCDB trade, I've knocked out the remaining reasonably-priced want from my 1973 Topps setbuild. brnkeux sent me this as well as some more great vintage cards.

Ken Reynolds pitched for four teams in six seasons, and the Twins weren't one of them. (The Twins traded him to the Brewers in spring training.) He was 7-29 lifetime. It is a nice looking card though. This just leaves me the infamous Mike Schmidt/Ron Cey/John Hilton rookie card. It's going to be very difficult to get one at a reasonable price. The last time I was in this situation was with my 1980 set, I was down to Rickey Henderson and bought one for $10. I don't think I'll get a Schmidt for $10, or possibly even $20. Looks like they regularly go for over $100. I'm willing to wait to get a very poor copy for a small fraction of that price. Ideally not much over $20, though that may take years.

He sent a nice variety of 1960s cards as well.

Here is one from '62 and two from '69. After '73, '69 is my next close to finishing, with just 60 cards left. But there are lots of very pricy cards in that 60.

Four very nice looking cards from 1968. You rarely see the Green Monster in vintage cards, which is kind of surprising. Great  Yankee Stadium background on Jimmie Price, too.
Finally, a nice selection of '67. 10 total photos, nine of which show the player against a blue sky.



3 comments:

  1. RE: 73' Topps.... You need #615, and I am down to #614.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow good luck with finding a Schmidt for under $100. You never know...its out there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm probably in the extreme minority, but I don't understand why that Schmidt sells for so much. I mean I get that it's a high number rookie of a HOFer, but there are seemingly hundreds of thousands of copies out there, so it certainly couldn't be considered rare by any stretch of the imagination. Plus too, you'd think that the majority of people who wanted one, would have it by now. Like a lot of other card things, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

    ReplyDelete