Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Wallet card with one of New York City's last fallout shelter signs

Fallout shelter signs used to be quite common, especially on public buildings. However, they are no longer accurate (they haven't been for decades) and New York City has now begun a campaign to actively remove them so they don't cause confusion. I'm not going to take a picture of every one I see but I figured I would photograph one for posterity before they are all gone. This one is on a church on W. 37th Street.

3 comments:

  1. I remember seeing them all the time growing up and not paying too much attention to them. There are still a few visible at the Saratoga Automobile Musuem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very cool idea, I hope you find more to take pictures of before they come down. I'm fascinated with Cold War history and Fallout Shelter signs (I also like Fall Out Boy, but that's unrelated) My middle school had a sign above the side entrance door. Not sure if it's still there, I'll have to check when I go back home next month.

    ReplyDelete