Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Vintage for modern

Reader jlcre2003 (he has no blog, but check out his Trading Card Database page) took me up on my standing offer - I will gladly trade you modern cards for your vintage cards, and make the trade in your favor. In addition to what is already on my tradelist I have thousands of cards, many from the late-1990s early-2000s that are absent from many collections, that I have yet to add. I would love to flip them to you for your extra vintage cards, of any condition. In this trade I got a few dozen each from 1975, 1976 and 1977 Topps.

I'm getting into the homestretch in 1975 Topps - under 100 to go now.
 This card was the highlight for me - any time I can get a vintage Thurman Munson card that is a big deal.
 Lots of people love the backgrounds of 1970s cards and for good reason, so much going on here you almost overlook Brian Downing's flowing locks, a surprising look for those of us who just know him from his later, clean-cut junk wax days.
 Looking back, it surprises me that in the Bicentennial year that Topps didn't use this color scheme on all the cards. As someone born in 1977, it always slightly annoyed me that I just missed the Bicentennial and will almost certainly not see the Tricentennial.
 One of the fun things about picking up vintage cards of all conditions is to see the way people "updated" the team names on the cards. Carefully taping a small strip of paper over the team name is the neatest way I've seen. (Burroughs again - didn't realize until uploading the pictures that I was showing too cards in a row of the same guy.)
 Finally, on the lighter side, I wonder what Hector Cruz just found in his helmet?

No comments:

Post a Comment