Monday, July 13, 2009

Interview with Mickey Mahler

Mickey Mahler pitched for six teams during his eight years in the major leagues. He is now a banking executive in Utah. He kindly answered my questions about his baseball card experiences.

Bo Rosny: Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?
Mickey Mahler: I will tell you that I would imagine that it was a huge thrill for my brother and I to have our own baseball cards. [Mick's brother, the late Rick Mahler, pitched 13 years in the major leagues, moslty for the Braves.] I remember when in the late 70's that Topps was the only game in town, that every spring training, Topps would come in to camp and bring a little catalog with things you could pick out (for allowing them to put you on a baseball card) like a washer or dryer or TV ...........or they would give you a check for $250 cash. Most of us took the cash. Today, they get a great deal more.

Bo Rosny: Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?
Mickey Mahler: My favorite card was my 1986 Texas Ranger card. My VERY least favorite was my 1979 Braves card. Only a head shot and me with a VERY bad mustache!


Bo Rosny: Do you collect baseball cards?
Mickey Mahler: I do not collect baseball cards....even though when my son was born in 1988, I went out and bought the whole Topps set and have it stored so he will have it to look at later in life.

Thanks, Mick! I never knew the story about getting appliances as compensation for having your picture on a baseball card - sounds like a game show!

1 comment:

  1. Great piece. I always feel for guys like Mahler who shared his rookie card with Jack Morris, making it hard to get or expensive!

    ReplyDelete