Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Blogger/TCDB/OBC roundup

Washing away the sting of the Yankees playing exactly as I thought they would, with some of the nice cards that have come in lately.

Vintage trades with other bloggers don't come around very often, but I was able to do one with Cards as I See Them, getting these very nice cards, including Hall of Famer Luke Appling as a Tigers coach. I really like the 1960 Billy Jurges cards. I wish Topps went with that design for the players in that set.

The monthly Diamond Jesters time travel trade is always good for an eclectic mix. No real way to categorize these, other than nice cards to add to my collection!
For years my 1993 Select set was one cards short of completion, missing only the terrific Derek Jeter rookie cards. TCDB's Jbeiermann took care of that in a one-for-one swap for a wrestling relic card.
Also TCDB, four minor league cards from nozzlemaster.

On to OBC. Dan Williams managed to fit 49 cards into two PWEs with two forever stamps each. I'm not quite brave enough to try that. Three terrific 1950s cards, very catcher-heavy. Only my second '53 black-and-white. The rest are all 1990 Leaf, mostly commons with one very notable exception, the famous Frank Thomas rookie. That and the Jeter knocked off some pretty big junk-era cards this week.
Ron Hoehne went the oddball route with cake, cereal and pretzels. The Eddie Collins is not a 1972 Kelloggs, but a 1970 Rold Gold (the sets are identical except for the copyright line). I like the Bobby Bonds card where the airbrushed Yankee uniform is missing the pinstripes, and of course airbrushing is pretty much the only way to see a Yankee with a beard.
Cliff Franklin sent this great eight. A Yankee and seven high numbers! Once again a manager card steals the show, that John McNamara photo is great.
Finally, Chris Kodl sent this great six-pack of 1950s cards, highlighted by Dodgers star Don Newcombe.


No comments:

Post a Comment