Sunday, October 13, 2024

1963 Pepsi Tulsa Oilers

I love vintage baseball cars, but I also have a soft stuff for vintage Pepsi merchandise. For some reason I just really like the logo. I've been aware of these for awhile, and was lucky to find a lot of these for a good price. At eight cards (four two-card panels), these represent a third of the set.

These are "door hangers" but the door hanger is not perforated and I hate to unperforate it to stick it on a door, so I am just leaving these intact in my little Pepsi display. As you can see the Oilers were a Cardinals affiliate. Harry Watts never made the majors but Dennis Aust had a brief stint with the Cardinals and got on a Topps card.

Even though the Pepsi logo is blue, it's black on these as it looks like they were just printed in black and red ink. Not sure what uniform Lamar Drummonds is wearing. He didn't make the major leagues but Chuck Taylor did for several years.
Coach Pepper Martin was a legendary member of the Gas House Gang.  Gary Kolb had a brief major league tenure.
Jerry Wild is another guy who didn't make it to the majors. At 7.0 BB/9 in five AAA seasons, I guess he was a little too . . . wild. And finally a batboy! 12-year-old Jon Smith of Tulsa.
Here's what the backs look like. Save your cards and caps and match them to win $24. Hey that's $246 in 2024 dollars. Or maybe a better deal, ten cards get you free admission to an Oilers game.


4 comments:

  1. Yeah. Taylor had a decent career.
    I have 2 of his cards. He qualifies as a same name guy with the sneaker pioneer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bo lmk I know a dealer that might have some of these still & I could help you complete the set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have scooped those up too (for my Pepsi/beverage collection).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Smith was one lucky kid. How many other kids in middle school have their own baseball card?

    ReplyDelete