Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Vintage star cards roundup

I keep having fun with those weekly Greg Morris auctions. These came yesterday, plus two others. Fun oddballs, decent star power, and a Bobby Murcer high-number for a lot less than the $12 Al the street vendor was asking for one last year. Haven't made my way over to him the couple of times I've been in the city this year, I should really rectify that.

These two I was really excited about. $2 for a 1930s card is awesome. It's a 1934 Batter-Up of Jimmie Wilson. It was cheap because the detachable back was missing, but it's still a great card. But I was even more excited for a 1954 New York Journal-American card! A baseball card that is also ephemera from a defunct NYC newspaper is doubly cool to me. It's a NY Giant, not a Yankee, but still very cool. I would think Night Owl would have some of the Brooklyn Dodgers from this set, seeing he's a newspaper guy. Didn't see a mention on his blog. If you were wondering, the back of the '34 is blank; the back of the '54 has the Giants' home schedule. I was afraid it might be newsprint, but it's thin cardboard, like a ticket.
The week before had some heavy star power, most notably Feller and Mays. That Vic Raschi card I was keeping an eye out for ever since I saw it on the Penny Sleeves blog. Jon mentioned that he thought it was taken in the Yankees' clubhouse. I think it might be the dugout, but either way it's a great photo, with what looks like a reporter in the background.
And the week before that a nice mixture of everything from Venezuelans to a '63 Aaron/Banks card. Even with the pen on it it's a great photo. The photos in that set seem clearer than most other years.
Not much to report outside of those. I was focusing more on cheap quantity lots, but still made room for a cheap version of a pretty tough card, with a heavily trimmed and worn '59 Koufax. I'd upgrade it if a better one fell in my lap, but that's not going to happen.
The only other vintage purchase were these five cards at the end of the '58 set, 5 for $5. Two Skowrons which I already had. The Bazooka insert card is very cool, I didn't have any vintage advertising inserts before this one.
Here's a look at the back. Some nasty-looking stains on these, maybe gum residue due judging by the shape. I'm keeping them in plastic sleeves so I don't have to touch them, but it's fun to see the contest instructions and the Brooklyn 32 address.

 

3 comments:

  1. I almost bought a copy of that 58T Spahn at the flea market. Saw it on this guy's table with some postcards, magazines, and other trinkets. It was in pretty poor condition (no penny sleeve or anything), but I love that year's all-star subset. Unfortunately the vendor thought it was worth way more ($20) than I wanted to pay (which was $3 to $5).

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot of great stuff here this time. Aside from the Raschi, the three that stick out the most to me are probably the Post Robin Roberts, '62 Lee Maye, and '72 Frank Robinson. I've been fortunate enough to get three Batter-Up's this year myself. I don't know why it took me so long to start buying those, because I really like them. The Giants Lottery cards are really cool too. Nick Vossbrink has talked about those on his blog multiple times.

    ReplyDelete