Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Another one

Yesterday I posted about a big mixed lot of cards I got. Later that day another one arrived. This was also around $20, and was well over a thousand cards. While there was a fair amount of junk wax, and a lot of 2020s (especially 2021) which don't really excite me, there was no shortage of fun and interesting cards.

Just a sampling of the many shiny cards in the lot. Ranging from Aaron Judge to Bernie Williams to Ted Williams.

On the topic of shiny cards, there were these weird cards from 2001 E-X. They appear to have backs larger than the front, like the front was sliced off, trimmed slightly and then glued back on. This doesn't seem to be a parallel, maybe some weird printing error.
There were a few of these shiny 2021 cards in the style of the old Topps Big sets. Brought me back to my childhood, though I wish Dave Winfield was a Yankee like he was at the time.
Some water damage made an extra-colorful parallel of this Topps Gold Label card.
There are some other modern cards that I like. There was even a "parking lot card".
Lots more early 80s stars to trade. Also two very-nicely-conditioned 1974 cards, by far the oldest ones in the lot.
Particularly heavy on stars from the 1982 Topps set. Anyone working on that set?
There were some hits in the lot, an autograph and three memorabilia card.
My son saw these 7-Eleven coins and thought they were cool.
This was an interesting oddball. There was a paper holder, looked like something that would hold hash browns. Inside was an oversized Lenny Dykstra card, numbered to 10,000, as well as a regular sized counterpart. There was also a regular-sized Mattingly elsewhere in the lot, which I was happy to see. Very nice looking card.

Some graded cards lol. Gem Mint 10 might bring these cards up from $0.05 to $0.10. I don't think either of the grading companies here are considered "legitimate" anyway.

The lot was mostly baseball, but a few other things snuck in. There was a small pile of Pokemons. My son might enjoy those, I'll give them to him. There were also some Zorro cards which I could not identify, and I don't see on TCDB. The two orange cards are very thin, like stickers but they don't appear to be stickers. The other card has two images which can be punched out. I haven't watched Zorro since I was little - was there a koala on the show? They are available if someone wants them.

These 1987 Garbage Pail Kids cards took me back to my childhood. They still make me chuckle. I don't think my kids would like them though. I'm not in a hurry to get rid of these but I would consider trade them for some baseball cards. There are some wrappers available too.
Just a little bit of football, but it included a couple of autographs. I wasn't familiar with either player on those cards. Sad to see that one of them, Ronnie Hillman, died of cancer at the age of 31 in 2022.
Finishing off with some sports I don't collect, so these are definitely available. There's a numbered card of Draymond Green, a big enough star that even I had heard of him Two Signature Rookies autographed cards as well. It's hard enough to read their names in person let alone in the photo. I had to look them up because I don't know basketball players. One is B.J. Tyler (Texas). He played one season for the 76ers, then fell asleep while icing his ankle, causing nerve damage serious enough to end his career. The other is Eric Montross (North Carolina). This card appears to have some food stuck to the front. He played eight seasons for six teams - Celtics, Mavericks, Nets, 76ers, Pistons and Raptors. He died of cancer in 2023.


5 comments:

  1. You know I seen that Braves relic. Zorro, def. a good deal with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for my own morbid curiosity, I looked on eBay for those graded Clemens - one sold June 30th for $34! (PSA graded, but still!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This lot was considerably more diverse than the previous one. The water damage really did create an interesting effect on that Reese, which I'm assuming had something to do with how the card was made. The two orange bordered Zorro cards are from 1977 Argentinian set. I'd be interested in card #1 if it's still available. I'm not familiar with the Zorro/koala sticker though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those 7-11 lenticular coins are fantastic! Wish they'd pop up in blog posts more often since they definitely take me back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GPK! I collected the heck out of those as a kid. Not series 10 though.. I think series 8 was where I stopped.

    Lots of great value in this box overall.

    ReplyDelete