Friday, July 5, 2024

1981 Topps Joe Strain

 

The front: For a long time this was my only 1981 Topps card, and one of the oldest cards I owned as a kid in the late 1980s. 

The back: The fact that he was a substitute teacher was also very interesting to me as a kid. Imagine one day you come in to school and your substitute teacher is a real big leaguer!

The player: Strain played in 169 major league games, for the Giants in 1979 and 1980, and the Cubs in 1981. He hit .250 with 1 HR and 29 RBI in 520 ABs.

The man: After his playing career Strain went back to teaching, for 20 years at Cherry Creek High School in Colorado. He was also a Giants scout, signing Sergio Romo among others. He is now an Assistant Coach at Metropolitan State University in Denver, a team head coached by his son Ryan Strain, who was a Giants minor leaguer for two seasons.

My collection: I have eight of his cards, from 1978 to 1982. I would be interested in trading for 1979 Cramer Phoenix Giants #9.


1 comment:

  1. Unless he or one of the faculty said something, I doubt very many kids would've had any clue that he had been a professional ballplayer.

    ReplyDelete