Thursday, July 18, 2024

Lots more

Three big lots in three days. This is the last of them. Certainly enough to occupy lots of time, and I'll probably cool it for now unless  I stumble across something really interesting. This was easily the highest quantity and lowest quality, about 4,000 cards for $25. Lots of garbage (figuratively and literally) but easily enough fun stuff to be worth it.

A few hundred baseball cards. Many in really bad condition. Lots of junk wax. Lots of '02 and '03 cards bricked tightly together. Most of theses are dupes but I can tell there will be quite a few keepers. The bricked-together '02s and '03s I'll probably try to keep as potential trade bait, to switch with the ones in my collection. The bricked together '92 Donruss are likely going to be garbage. All the cards in the top left of the photo are 10-20 cards bricked solidly together. The bottom left are cards that are so heavily worn that at least the junkwax era ones will probably be garbage. There were lots of contest cards, I'll have to check Angels in Order's wantlist but there was nothing particularly unusual so he probably has them all. Mauer rookie is pretty good trade bait.

Lots of football. I don't actively try to add to my football collection but I do like adding to it. As you can see, especially in the bottom row, some of these are really bad. Cards with major parts ripped off, and there were also cards that were stuck together so that when I peeled them apart the whole front or back of a card came off. Still, I'll have fun with these.
If it was just football and baseball I might not have done it, but it was the Star Wars cards that cinched it for me. I guess I could look for low-grade Star Wars lots but I don't. This had cards from all three original movie sets, and even a couple of Kellogg's Empire Strikes Back oddballs. Glad to get a copy of the famous C-3PO card even if it isn't the ultra-rare F--- Face version.
Of the 4,000 cards in the lot, probably half or more were basketball. I have zero interest in these cards and would love to send out bulk packages of these to whoever's interested. Just get enough cards back to be worth the postage. They're in better shape than the other sports but mostly not mint, mostly bricking issues. Tons more that are not in the photo. I saw several copies of that Jordan Washington Wizards card in the lower right. Saw a rough-shape Shaquille O'Neal somewhere too. Anyone collecting 1990s and 2000s basketball sets/players/teams let me know. Happy to look for individual players/teams/sets/whatever.
There was a lot of variety of other kinds of cards which was part of the appeal for me. Mork & Mindy is one of my favorite shows and I was glad to add some cards from that set.

From here on out, everything is trade bait, though condition is a factor for most cards. 

Just a tiny bit of hockey in this lot, in fact it was outnumbered by auto-racing cards of all things.

I don't consider these bouillabaseball cards real baseball cards, but maybe someone who likes Alf would want them. Also note a couple of card-sized Ohio State fillers/ads.
Who wants to start an ET set? Who knows, maybe there's a complete set in here. I know nothing about it and won't be sorting this for a while.
Ditto this Incredible Hulk set. I'll keep one of those Manhattan Mayhem cards for myself.
Some music cards, and war cards. I'm going to keep the Doors card, I like that one. Led Zeppelin, NKOTB and California Raisins are available, as are the Pro Sets.
Late 80s non-sport miscellany. Harry and the Hendersons, TMNT, Roger Rabbit and Bill & Ted.
Three late 70s sets that look a lot alike. Superman, Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica.
Finally, some more 70s oddballs. Well, Supergirl should have gone with the 80s, I guess. Also a few Charlie's Angels, and one each from Happy Days, King Kong, and a sticker-back (no sticker) from the 1978 Donruss CB Stickers set.


7 comments:

  1. That Star Wars lot is awesome! Actually all of the non-sports stuff is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bricking aside, still fun to go through. Thanks for thinking of me on the contest cards. If those '83s have different bonus runs numbers, then I'll need them. I'm a variations guy. We're about due for a TCDB trade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, someone really loved their cards into submission. I only know the Empire Strikes Back cards in pack-fresh condition so those look weird. Also I'd love to chase the first couple Star Wars sets, but that's almost impossible these days.

    I'll take the couple Charlie's Angels cards if available. (I'd go for the Hulk cards, too, but they're too beaten up).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of fun stuff in there. I'm pretty sure I bought a pack or two of the E.T. back in the day..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic deal. great job! I wasn't aware of a "famous cp30 card" I'll have to do some research. On the Kellogg's Star Wars too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bo put me down on the basketball lot ty

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you didn't know any better you'd swear that this collector carried large parts of their collection in their pockets on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete