Monday, July 1, 2024

1976 SSPC Dan Driessen

 

The card, in brief: An interesting looking card with Driessen sitting on the ground, and teammate Cesar Geronimo walking in the dirt behind him.

The player, in brief: Dan Driessen came up with the Reds in 1973 and instantly became an important member of the Big Red Machine, spending time at first base, third base and the outfield. In 1976 he became the first NLer to be a DH in the World Series. In 1977 the Reds traded Tony Perez and Driessen became the regular first baseman and had several productive seasons. He had an excellent eye at the plate, walking more than he struck out during his career and leading the NL with 93 walks in 1980. He ended his career with stints with the Expos, Giants, Astros and Cardinals. Overall in 1,732 games over 15 seasons, he hit .267 with 153 HR and 763 RBI, walking 761 times.

Post-playing career, in brief: After his playing career Driessen returned to him hometown of Hilton Head, SC. He owns Driessen Excavating Services and has coached the high school baseball team.

My collection: I first starting collecting Topps stickers in 1986, before I switched to cards. Driessen was one of my first stickers and I always liked him from that point on. I have 35 of his cards, from 1974 to 1986. I would be interested in trading for 1978 Hostess #64.

2 comments:

  1. I remember him being in those Reds lineups, but the only card of his that comes to mind is that 1982 Fleer Big Red Machine card of him, Foster and Concepcion.

    ReplyDelete