Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Cards and vintage things: labels

One of the things I picked up in my Don and Chris Old Stuff order a while back was a grab bag of old, unused labels - 50 for $5. The labels look great, they are almost all in mint condition and look like they could have been printed yesterday. That said, I found that having just labels out of context wasn't as interesting as I might have hoped. Anyone want to trade cards or something else interesting for some old labels, let me know.

Here's a sample of what was in there. I picked out some from some smaller towns and matched them up with vintage cards of players from those towns.

Ovideo, FL
 Paterson, NJ
 Exeter, CA
 Three from Salinas, CA. Must be a big vegetable town.
 OK, Joe DiMaggio is not from Holtville, CA but this one I had to include. I'm hanging on to this one. Looks like they did do some baseball-themed advertising as a take off on the distributor's name, but as far as I know there was no actual relationship with the Yankee Clipper.

5 comments:

  1. Salinas is a big agricultural area. I lived not too far away at one time. Salinas is featured in some of John Steinbecks novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother lives in Marina... which is right next to Salinas. I'd say the first two things that pop into my head when I think of Salinas is farming and Steinbeck... just like Rod mentioned.

      Delete
  2. That Carl Joseph label is something else. Do those carrots give you superpowers, or something? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not quite a match, but that White Rose label instantly made me think of No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom album cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe D. Maggio... that is so funny!

    I do love me some old fruit labels, and am half-tempted to say that I'd be interested in them, but I just don't know what I would do with them right now, and I've already got WAY too many "someday" projects tucked away to want to take on anymore.

    ReplyDelete