Friday, June 12, 2020

1981 Topps Ron Guidry


The front: Nice simple photo of Gator, with the Yankee Stadium grandstand, façade and scoreboard all visible in the background.

The back: Guidry turned down track-and-field scholarships before accepting a baseball scholarship from the University of Southwestern Louisiana. The 18-strikeout game was a record at the time, and is considered the first occurrence of the Yankee Stadium tradition of the fans getting up and clapping to root for a third strike.


The player: Ron Guidry was one of the greatest pitchers in Yankees history. Despite being hampered with injuries throughout his career, Guidry went 170-91 (a .651 winning percentage) with 1,778 strikeouts and a 3.29 ERA. He is best known for his 1978 season when he went 25-3 with a 1.74 ERA.

The man: Guidry has been a long-time spring training instructor for the Yankees, as well as the team’s pitching coach in 2006 and 2007.

My collection: I have 59 of his cards, from 1977 to 1989. I would be interested in trading for 1976 Topps #599.

3 comments:

  1. I remember being disappointed in this card after Guidry in-action cards from '78-'80.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a ball signed by him a few years ago during Spring Training. He was real nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guidry was my favorite Yankee when I was a kid. I remember being blown away by his 1978 stats.

    ReplyDelete