Saturday, November 10, 2012

Quinn Marsh on baseball cards

Quinn Marsh pitched in the Reds organization from 1986 to 1990 (where he was teammates with many of the players in yesterday's Chattanooga Lookouts post). In 122 games, he was 11-12 with 7 saves and a 3.51 ERA. Now Vice President of International and Domestic Logistics at Access Technology Solutions and Logistics in Utah, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

 - Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players? 
- The Gino Minutelli card on your blog showing him swinging a bat - he was actually a good hitter and was used at times as a pinch hitter. The Phil Dale card - Phil was my manager in the ABL for the Waverly Reds, based in Melbourne, AU - 1989-90 with a record of 43-3.

 - Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player? 
- My 1988 card as it shows a historic save, by gaining the save to beat the Salt Lake City Trappers 29 game winning streak (1987), longest in pro baseball history and I happened to be from Bountiful, Utah, so hometown kid breaks the streak while playing for the Billings Mustangs. Mack Jenkins who is currently coaching for the MLB Cincinnati Reds was the starter.
 - My 1990 Salinas Spurs card as it shows my best season.  The Salinas Spurs were managed by the first Japanese manager of American pro sports, Heidi Koga-san and the owner was the late Joe Buzas who owned many teams with his first being the Pawtucket Red Sox which he purchased for $1.00 as it was a loser team, then turned around and sold for $1 million. Also on that Salinas Spurs team were Steve Howe and Leon Durham, ex MLB players making a comeback and many Japanese players from the Daiei Hawks and Yakult Swallows.

 - Do you collect baseball cards?
I did as a kid and wish I still had them.

Thanks! I couldn't find a pitcure of the Billings card online. Here is one that I have, from 1989 Cedar Rapids.

No comments:

Post a Comment