Friday, February 27, 2009

Photoshop Phriday

One of the weirdest sets from the late 1990s is something called Metal or Metal Universe. I don't have a lot of these cards, but the ones I have are, well, interesting. The purpose of the set seems to be to mix photos of ballplayers with comic-book like situations. Now, with the advent of Photoshop, any idiot with a computer can make images like that. Of course, the title of my post is the name of one of the better places to find such images (note, not really for kids). My personal favorite is the one they did for the Giants when they won the Super Bowl.

These Metal cards don't seem to have a theme or make much sense, however. The background images seem pretty random and not connected to the player at all. For example, here is Jeromy Burnitz, running from a train. Why? He is not a speedster, in fact was probably one of the slower players of his time. If he's running for his life he's not going to make it.

Here is an even weirder one. I haven't the foggiest idea of why the dragon is licking Andy Ashby's nipple. I don't think I want to know, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment