Thursday, March 14, 2024

Trade with Johnny Part I

Recently Johnny of the Trading Spot bought a huge lot of mid-50s cards. Fortunately, I hadn't checked his wantlists in a while, and I was able to build up a big pile of Braves and setneeds for him. In return I was able to get a lot of cards for my 1950s sets.

Breaking this up into two posts, starting with the smaller group first, 1954 and 1955.

Eleven cards for my 1954 Topps set. Personally I like the white-background look the best but they are all great looking cards.

Here are the rest. Perhaps the W.S. on Al Smith's card refers to his leadoff home run in the World Series that year. Or his famous beer shower in the 1959 World Series. Or maybe the card was owned by a young Willard Scott.
Just four needs for my 1955 set, but they push me to over 50% completion, on what is admittedly a pretty small set. All four are pretty notable - hero of the '55 World Series, first Black Pirate, record HR streak, and first little leaguer to play in the majors.


3 comments:

  1. I had feeling that you two'd be working something out. That's an interesting fact about Joe Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot that Long shared that home run streak with Mattingly. I remember the hype when Mattingly accomplished that feat when I was a teen. It was pretty crazy.

    As for Jay... that's a really cool piece of baseball trivia.

    ReplyDelete