Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Joy of a completed set - 1969 Topps Deckle Edge

Six years ago when I jumped into vintage big-time, buying a huge late-1960s lot locally on Craigslist, it had, among lots of other things, most of the 1969 Deckle Edge set. Over the years I had chipped away at the set, and I'd been down to just one card left for a while - Joe Foy, one of the short prints. (The other, Jimmy Wynn, was in that original lot.) When I was at the card show a few months ago I had a chance to buy one for $12 but turned it down, it felt like a lot at the time. I hadn't seen one that cheap since. However on eBay I came across a small deckle lot that included Foy, and the BIN was $11 shipped. Good enough for me!

On the back there was some kind of big game with Mary Lee, Jenny and Tommy. The game was won by Mary Lee with a totle of 23. Great job Mary Lee!
Here is the rest of the lot. Having Clemente in it justified the price for me. (Clemente was advertised as the headliner in the lot; Foy wasn't even mentioned.) It becomes trade bait along with these other guys, no slouches themselves. As always, happy to trade the better conditioned card. (My other Clemente is better, though not much better.) Clemente happens to be the last card I need in the '68 Topps Game set, so a Clemente-for-Clemente trade would be cool but I don't know if that opportunity would present itself.


9 comments:

  1. Congratulations. That's a fun set to flip through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on completing the set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this insert set. Still have some of my original deckle-edge cards from when I was a kid finally completed that set a couple of years ago--good times!

    Congratulations to you on completing this set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that set. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big congrats! Still on the hunt for the Jim Wynn myself - almost never see cheap ones pop up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Wonder what game those kids were playing. I'm guessing whoever owned those cards didn't know Foy was an SP. She/He was probably like... no way I'm gonna write on my Clemente. I'll use this guy to keep score.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! 1969 Deckle Edge is a fun set - and has a warm place in my heart for being the first (and currently the only) vintage set I've completed.

    ReplyDelete